Of course, this pastor was not fired. But he never had a chance to be considered by another church.
So what are pastors posting on social media that is raising the ire of church members? It typically falls into one or more of these five categories:
1. Generally combative and sarcastic comments.
Do you know someone that seems always to be in
2. Political comments.
If you make a political comment in today’s incendiary environment, you will offend someone. The persons you offend may just be the ones who push you out the church.
3. Taking on church members.
I cringe when I see church members posting critical comments against a pastor or church staff member. I cringe even more when the pastor decides to take them on in a public forum. Most readers have no idea the context of the conflict. They just see their pastor acting like a jerk.
4. Criticizing other people.
I have a friend who served as pastor of four churches. He loved
5. Unsavory comments.
A pastor or church staff member making lewd or suggestive comments on social media gains nothing, even if it’s a quote from a movie or someone else. The consequences are always negative.
This post is not about pastors losing their prophetic voices. It’s about pastors and church staff losing their ministries because of their failure to control their digital tongues.
“If anyone thinks he is religious without controlling his tongue, then his religion is useless and he deceives himself . . . (The tongue) pollutes the whole body, sets the course of life on
Social media is not the place to vent or to wage petty battles.
The consequences are simply too great.
This article was written by Thom Rainer and originally
- 8 Vital Instructions For Every Pastor And Church Leader
- Things Impossible For Most Pastors To Do
- Ten Ways To Bring Joy To Your Pastor
- You’re The Pastor Of A Church. Speak Out Or Not On These Cultural Hot Potatoes?
- The Top Ten Sources Of Discouragement For Pastors
Read more about Pastoring »
- Social Media Voyeurism – Why I Quit Instagram
- 7 Things Christians Need To Stop Doing On Social Media
- 6 Signs You Spend Too Much Time On Social Media
Read more about Social Media »